Subscribe to Our Newsletter Click Below!
Crime has no zip code
Quick tips on ATM safety

There have been a number of hold ups at ATM's and banks in our area lately. As a business owner who deposits our checks in the ATM on a regular basis, this sparked my interest on what I should do in that scenario.

I asked my best friend, Google and strangely she didn't know. I heard a rumor that you were supposed to type in your code backwards, but fortunately that's an urban legend. Thank goodness because I couldn't remember that under pressure.

I stopped by my bank and spoke to my usual teller, John, at my favorite bank in Ormond Beach. He told me some really great advice that I must share.

Please understand that these are tips from a banking professional, however are in no way recommendations by a bank or myself.

Time of Day
Remember to handle your withdraws during daylight hours in areas that are busy. Even though crime has no zip code you can use common sense on areas where you feel safe. It was also advised to stay in your car until the person in front of you is done with their transaction. It's worth the extra time waiting in line to be secure. Leave your personal belongings (purses, wallets, etc.) in the car. Lock the car and ensure the windows are rolled up.

ATM Card
After you swipe your card, put it in your pocket. You can also hold it in your hand and if the unthinkable occurs, bend the card immediately. It won't work if you bend it. I'm going to put it in my pocket.

Play Possum
This may not be easy for some but this girl is going to do this! If someone came up to me and tries to rob me at an ATM I'm seriously going to fake faint. I think this advice is brilliant! It will shock the robber and possibly scare them. Also, if they step over my limp body their face will be truly exposed on the camera. If they rummage through my pants then that would be pushing it as I would suspect that they have a time clock on how long they're going to hold someone up.

I wanted to share these quick tips that again are only opinions. Readers beware.

It's sad that we live in a world where there are people who steal. Being educated, staying aware of your surroundings and using common sense can go a long way. It also is just money which can come easily and frequently.

Business owners who use an email newsletter should share this with their readership if you find this useful information.

Stay safe friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment